The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority has announced it is staging its 5th metrowide earthquake drill at dawn on July 27, in line with the government efforts to sustain information campaign on the risks and dangers of a strong quake.
MMDA general manager Jose Arturo Garcia Jr. said the shake drill would mobilize agency employees, local government units, various agencies, volunteer organizations, and other stakeholders to demonstrate their contingency plans in case strong earthquake hits the metropolis.
“We want to test the response capabilities and preparedness of LGUs and the private sector as earthquake may occur anytime,” said Garcia, in a news briefing held at the MMDA headquarters in Makati City Thursday.
According to Garcia, shake drills in the past years were done during daytime and even during rush hours with last year leveling up to an unannounced, rush hour daytime drill.
“For this year, it will be done on a weekend and at almost the break of dawn when most Metro Manila residents are at home and asleep,” said Garcia.
The shake drill will start as early as 4 a.m., signaled by sounding of an alarm.
“We are doing this to prepare everyone to minimize damage and loss of life,” Garcia said.
On the day of the drill, MMDA chairman Danilo Lim, who is also concurrent head of the Metro Manila Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, will visit city halls and designated emergency operation centers in the metro.