Supreme Court (SC) spokesperson Brian Keith Hosaka on Friday denied that the SC has issued an order setting the oral argument for the territorial dispute between Taguig and Makati City that has already had a final and executory decision.
It can be recalled that the SC had ruled that the disputed 729-hectare Fort Bonifacio Military Reservation where the Bonifacio Global City is located and some other barangays in Makati City are under the legal jurisdiction of Taguig City
Hosaka stressed that he was not aware of the order about the alleged setting of oral arguments. “I have no information about this,” Hosaka said, in a text message to reporters.
Hosaka explained that if the SC has indeed issued such an order, it will be published on the website and social media accounts of the high court.
“The SC-PIO (Public Information Office) will immediately post any notices in the SC website and official Twitter account should we receive any,” Hosaka added.
Hosaka made the statement following Makati City Mayor Abby Binay’s pronouncement that the Makati City Legal Office has received a document saying that the high tribunal is set to conduct oral arguments on the territorial dispute
“As far as the document that we received, they actually even set it for hearing, that means its not yet final. Kasi sa Omnibus Motion namin wala pang aksyon so far as the city is concerned there is still pending motion,” said Binay.
However, when asked when would the oral arguments be held, the mayor replied, she did not know yet.
“Hindi namin alam kasi diba nakabreak ang Supreme Court, hopefully by this month we will get some idea,” Binay claimed.
“These are oral arguments because part of our motion is to go before the en banc and have oral arguments. This is a very important issue that would affect 200,000 residents,” she added.
Meanwhile, Taguig City’s camp said they have not received a notice or any document about the setting of oral arguments.
Binay’s statement is contrary to the resolution issued by the Supreme Court on April which dismissed Makati City’s Omnibus Motion for the case to be elevated to the SC En Banc and to have an oral argument.
Hosaka has earlier explained that the high tribunal’s decision on the case is already final
“[The] SC has shut down all efforts of Makati City to revive the land dispute as the resolution ordered to no longer entertain pleadings, letters, motion or any other communication regarding the case. The ruling also enjoined Makati from exercising jurisdiction over, making improvements on or treating as part of its territory the area comprising Fort Bonifacio,” Hosaka said.
It added that there is already an Entry of Judgment in the case which means that the decision is indeed final and executory.
In resolving the territorial dispute, the magistrates gave more credence and weight to the evidence and arguments presented by Taguig.
“Considering the historical evidence adduced, cadastral surveys submitted and the contemporaneous acts of lawful authorities. We find that Taguig presented evidence that is more convincing and worthier belief than those proffered by Makati,” according to the decision.