President Rodrigo Duterte may create a separate task force to probe the alleged widespread corruption in the Department of Public Works and Highways, Malacañang said Wednesday.
Presidential spokesman Harry Roque Jr. made the statement after Public Works Secretary Mark Villar earlier this week created a task force made up of five officials to investigate fellow executives and employees after the President accused the agency of corruption.
Roque said the creation of a separate investigation team would depend on “how this new task force will operate, if it is credible, if it can hold individuals accountable for their acts.”
Roque said while the creation of the task force was a “good beginning”, some doubted it would succeed “because it’s the same people investigating one another.”
“It’s a step towards the right direction. But this initial step is without prejudice to whatever the President may order in the near future,” Roque told CNN Philippines.
“It’s not inconceivable that another task force of the DPWH may be formed by the President, in the same way that he formed one for the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation or PhilHealth.”
Malacañang expects Villar’s task force to submit its initial findings next week.