NEGOTIATORS of the government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front will again meet in Kuala Lumpur next month to discuss a new enabling law to implement the Comprehensive Agreement on the Bangsamoro, Peace Process Secretary Jesus Dureza said Friday.
“The formal resumption will be in Kuala Lumpur because we would like to give credit to Malaysia. Scheduling a ceremony for the resumption there is our expression of appreciation,” Dureza said, adding that the talks will be in the first or second week of August.
The government will send a team of five members, led by Peace Process Undersecretary Diosita Andot, to meet with the MILF team.
Dureza said a new executive order on the reconstitution of a new Bangsamoro Transition Commission will come out soon.
He had earlier said that the new BTC is part of the new roadmap of the Duterte administration in forging a more inclusive peace pact with all Bangsamoro groups.
Dureza had earlier welcomed the convergence of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front and the Moro National Liberation Front in putting closure to the Mindanao conflict.
“There is an apparent convergence and inclusivity now in each other’s peace-building initiatives. This is what we want, a peace process involving all stakeholders,” Dureza said Thursday at the sidelines of his breakfast meeting with MILF chairman Ebrahim Murad.
The two-hour meeting was held at Camp Darapanan, the MILF’s main enclave in Sultan Kudarat, Maguindanao, and was the first official meeting between the MILF and the Duterte administration.
Dureza said they talked about the prospects of the peace process under the Duterte administration and agreed to resume with all bilateral initiatives complementing all compacts between the MILF and Malacañang, stalled by the recent synchronized local and national elections.