MORE than P10 million in damages is being sought by Philippine Sports Commission board member Ramon Fernandez against Philippine Olympic.
Committee president Jose “Peping” Cojuangco.
That’s the amount of compensation Fernandez wants to get in the libel and oral defamation case he filed on Tuesday against Cojuangco before the sala of Assistant City Prosecutor Ramon Carisma in Cebu City.
The amount is for the suffering Fernandez experienced when Cojuangco accused him as a game-fixer before a public forum last month.
“The damages that I have suffered from Cojaungco’s libelous statements are so great and serious that it has subjected me to public ridicule,” said Fernandez in an eight-page charge sheet.
Fernandez, with lawyer Jemil Marquez, talked about his concerns after pushing through with his plans to sue the POC chief, saying he felt hurt when Cojuangco called him a game-fixer last month during the weekly Philippine Sportswriters Association Forum.
“It does not concern anything else,” added Fernandez in an interview with the Manila Standard.
He said that for him to change his mind, Fernandez said that if Cojuangco resigns, he said he will no longer pursue his plans to seek legal remedies against Cojuangco.
Aside from the P10-million in damagers, he is also seeking P50,000 in exemplary damagers and P200,000 as compensation for legal fees.
Fernandez said he resented Cojuangco’s allegations that he allegedly threw away games during his 20-year career in the Philippine Basketball Association while playing for teams like Toyota and San Miguel.